Hydrocarbon Resources Sig
Welcome to the World of Petrophysics and Hydrocarbons Resources Assessment!
The SPWLA collaborated with SPE and other industry organizations (WPC, AAPG, SPEE, SEG and EAGE) in a continued effort to standardize the definition of petroleum resources. Thus in 2018, SPWLA co-sponsored the update of the industry-recognized Petroleum Resources Management System (PRMS). The SPWLA Hydrocarbon Resources Special Interest Group (SIG) was initiated after the SPWLA Annual Symposium in The Woodlands, in 2019 and approved by the SPWLA international board of directors in early 2020.
The purpose of the SPWLA Hydrocarbon Resources SIG is to promote the role of Petrophysics in Hydrocarbon Resources Assessment in the industry and act as the SPWLA interface with the SPE Oil and Gas Reserves Committee (OGRC). The SIG’s vision and mission are:
“Be the reference for Petrophysicists and Log Analysts in the definition and estimation of Hydrocarbon Resources while providing minimum standards, norms and guidelines for the analysis of Petrophysics-related data used as an input in the Reserves and Resources estimation”
“To promote the fundamental value that the science of Petrophysics and Log Analysis delivers to the approved methods of quantitative estimation of Hydrocarbon Resources, and provide guidance for definition of rock properties in the assessment of Hydrocarbon Resources and future updates of Reserves and Resources”
Since inception in 2020, the SIG worked with the SPE OGRC in the update of the Guidelines for Application of the Petroleum Resources Management System (PRMS Application Guidelines). In particular, the SIG created Chapter 5 on Petrophysics in the recently published PRMS Application Guidelines document:
We are glad to exchange experiences and socialize through technical discussions, workshops and social activities to discuss good practices, industry standardizations and the evolution of measurements on key parameters as technology evolves. The group is open to all current SPWLA members and interested colleagues are encouraged to become SPWLA members.
– Second open virtual meeting and the PRMS Application Guidelines live on SPE Bookstore.
– First open virtual meeting
– First workshop session. Workshop 6: The Importance of Petrophysics in Resources and Reserves Estimation. SPWLA Hydrocarbon Reserves SIG at the SPWLA Symposium, Stavanger, Norway
- The SIG had a change of board members as some of the founding board members took on additional roles in SPWLA. The SIG is very grateful to the SIG’s founding President, Luis Quintero and Vice President, Javier Miranda for starting the SIG and steering the SIG through the COVID 19 period.
SIG first workshop session, Norway, 2022. One of the instructors, Philip Gibbons, during the session [right]. Luis Quintero and Philip Gibbons with attendees after the session [left]
June 2020 – The SIG was designated to work on the Petrophysics chapter (Chapter 5) of the PRMS Application Guidelines along with the Oil and Gas Reserves Committee (OGRC).
– Third Open Virtual Meeting – topic Porosity Chat Series 2023. Exact date to be confirmed.
– Second workshop session is coming to Texas! Our workshop, “The Importance of Petrophysics in Resources and Reserves Estimation” is scheduled to be delivered June 11 during the SPWLA Annual Symposium in Conroe, TX.
To contact the board listed below – email us at [email protected]
Joshua Oletu (Gaffney Cline)
Cecilia Patricia Flores (Ryder Scott)
Philip Gibbons (Gaffney Cline)
Luis Quintero (Halliburton)
Javier Miranda (DeGolyer and MacNaughton)
Please join us to enjoy great discussion amongst peers, leverage your knowledge and understand the importance of formation evaluation in resources assessment.